Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Tostados & Cheese!

Verse of the day: “Since God has shown us great mercy, I beg you to offer your lives as a living sacrifice to him.” Romans 12:1

Today we were back in the same town of Tolontag.  We spent 2 days there since it is a larger village.  The patients were steady all day and I barely left my little PT room.  I am getting a tad more proficient with my buddy google translate and I was able to employ some much appreciated help from the doctors who speak more Spanish than I do J.  Most people in this area are farmers and I saw many today and had a heavy focus on lifting mechanics.  One of the local volunteers brought us a mid-morning snack of tostados (toasted & salted corn) and fresh cheese which was delicious and came at just the right time!
Tostados & Fresh Cheese

Our team overlooking Cotopaxi: Susana, Sameer, Bert, & me (L to R)
Let me introduce you to our team.  The medical director is Susana, a native to Ecuador and a family practice physician.  She was practicing on her own prior to joining MMI and has now worked with them for 16 years.  Every month she facilitates a project like this one in a different area of Ecuador—advertising in the community, organizing host locations, and working with locals volunteers to assist in completing the project.

We also have 2 other medical doctors on the team.  Sameer is in emergency medicine and Bert is a general surgeon.  Both are from Florida, but have their heritage from India and Cameroon (W. Africa) respectively.  So together we have a very diverse team from all over the world--India, Africa, Ecuador, & the US!

Off to the next village tomorrow!



No comments:

Post a Comment