Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Fruity Goodness

Verse of the day: “The Lord gives me strength and makes me sing; he has saved me. He is my God and I will praise him.” Exodus 15:2

Loving the donated gifts!!
Another busy day at the clinic--same place as yesterday since it is a larger village.  The pastor was running a little late to open the church for us, but he had a great excuse—“I slept better last night because of the PT I got yesterday” ;-)  I continue to have a strong orthopedic patient population steady all day and I just barely got to see everyone before the bus came.  Despite limited time, a language barrier, and mostly chronic pain situations, thankfully everyone left in less pain!  I have only been able to spend about 20-30 minutes with each person in order to see everyone, but they are loving their exercises (hint, hint to any of my patients reading this ;-).  Once I looked up and the pastor was in the middle of the floor practicing his bird-dog, haha!  And since it is a very open area with literally no privacy, I can look around and see others trying the exercises as I am teaching.  For a special mid-morning snack we had traditional morocho.  It is a warmed milk with white corn, cinnamon, raisins, and a little sugar mixed in—perfect timing to a morning that had turned a little chilly and windy!
Registration
Morocho









We had a special treat after the clinic today.  Paul and Sarah made friends with a local farmer playing soccer on Sunday and he invited us to see his avocado farm.  So we walked about a mile to his house up and down a few steep hills, past a castle, past “El Alamo”, and eventually to his beautiful farm.  Except it was not just avocados that he grew; he also grows tree tomatoes, lemons, tea, coffee beans, passion fruit, estavia, grapes, cucumbers, tomatoes, etc.  We went home with a plethora of things to try and of course fresh avocado for dinner! Fun fact about avocados:  it takes about 4 years for a tree to start producing fruit.  Once it does the first crop is only about 50 avocados, but the next crop is about 200!  They sell for about US$0.50 here.

Avacados

Coffee Beans

Tree Tomatoes


Limes



The foundation festival in town is finally over and the town has a renewed peacefulness to it.  No music or fireworks to fall asleep to tonight, just dogs, dogs, and more dogs ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment