Saturday, September 12, 2015

Flip Side

Sunrise in Bogota, Colombia
Rarely are international travels completely smooth, but even the landing was so smooth that the whole plane applauded!! I landed in Colombia for a layover just in time to watch the sunrise over the surrounding mountains. The last time I was in Bogota airport, they put everyone in a small basement room overnight while they fumigated the airport--what impeccable timing and change in scenery!


Pichincha started smoking 15 days ago

When I arrived in Quito, Ecuador I was warmly greeted with a hug and a kiss from Susana, the medical director for this area with MMI (Medical Ministry International). She then shortly informed me that, Cotopaxi, the world's 2nd largest volcano, had begun smoking again for the last 15 days. This volcano erupts about once every 100 years and the last time it erupted was 1879...so I suppose it is due!! It is a gorgeous snow covered mountain that is now bellowing smoke and now only half snow covered. Ironically I had a patient tell me this week of how he got stuck in Quito a couple extra days because of the smoke and ash not allowing the plane to leave. He had to miss his first day of a new job--talk about a great excuse! He must have jinxed me, haha! But don't worry, there is now a new airport a little farther away.

Today is a day of settling in and meeting the other doctors I will be working with. More about the flip side tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment